Peter Laws | Notes from the Links

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Managing Thoughts

I’m getting a lot out of Tal Ben-Shahar’s lectures. His course on positive psychology is backed up by research. Lots of details and concrete examples. I can follow what Tal is talking about and apply to myself.

For example, I’m learning to manage my thinking better when the golf ball doesn’t do what I wanted it to do. Failure is the price of learning. So, lighten up!

It’s all about how we evaluate our thoughts. Thoughts cause emotions and emotions cause motion.

Tal’s tunnel vision example stuck with me. Being careful not to get mad about the 2 bad holes I had while ignoring the 16 good ones. It’s all about being realistic in our evaluation of something that happens.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg Heller said...

Hi Peter ...good to see that you are learning that golf is not a game of perfect. Ben Hogan had one of the purest golf swings, yet he would comment that he only hit a few "perfect" shots each round. Think about how you played the Trafalgar Club Championship when you were 15. You were this fearless kid with a "Gilligan" hat, that missed shot after shot, but always found a way to make par. We all wished that we could play like you! Good luck in 2010

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Steve Graham said...

Peter ...

There was never any fear for me, no fear of failure. If I miss a shot, so what?
Michael Jordan

I also suspect that everytime Jordan set up for a shot he had more belief -than anybody else in the game - that it was going in.
I'm sure it's also true for Kobe and James today.

“Believe and act as if it were impossible to fail.”
Charles F. Kettering

All the best for a sensational 2010 - and 2011 on 'the' tour!

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home