Peter Laws | Notes from the Links

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Mental Lapses

My coach from Kent State, Herb Page, would have some expressions for what I did this week on the golf course. But, I can’t put them down in print!

I didn’t do well, not because of technique. I wasn’t using my head. I forgot all I’ve been teaching myself: stay in routine, do the same thing at the same pace, keep my mind quiet and in the moment and focus on what I want for the shot.

Instead I veered from my routine: I tried some experimenting, letting my analytical self interfere. Herb knows all about this. So does Steve.

I was aggressive on too many holes when I should have played conservatively. There are just too many hazards on the course to be taking chances. Once things started getting disastrous, I couldn’t stick to the moment. Nasty!

Live and learn. Those mental lapses can sneak up and take over. I let my mind play tricks on me and my judgment went out the window.

I am going in the right direction though and feel good about how I am progressing. Next week, I’ll have a chance to get back into routine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home