Peter Laws | Notes from the Links

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Using the Strengths of My Mental Style

I took a “Mental Golf Workshop” test after finishing my last tournament. What an eye-opener!

My coaches since I started golf have always talked to me about things I can do to get better at the mental side of golf. I have grown over the years, such as worrying less about the score and more about the shot I have to make. I’ve tried to stay positive too and control my emotions in the moment. But, I have known all along that there’s much more to the “mental game of golf”.

In many ways, it’s been hard to figure out what to do. I like concrete ideas. The mental part is not that way. So, the great thing about the test is that it’s explained the mental part in more detail and it gave me practical ways to improve.

Take the competitive part of my nature. It came out as really dominant. That’s good especially for pressure situations. On the flip side, I can try too hard and create tension that hurts my performance.

I also learned something I’ve known for a while: my results orientation and aggressiveness on the course can lead to wasted shots.

The great part about the test is that it spelled out specific practices for four important areas of the game: goal-setting, pre-round preparation, mental tendencies over the ball and course management.

I’ve got a break now in the Gateway Tour. I will use it to try out the tips from the test.

One of the big ideas is about positive energy and positive self-talk. The test advised me to “gear down”. When my competitive nature tells me “you should have done better”, turn it into “what can I learn from this”? or just let it go. The positive fuel creates positive energy.

Overall, the suggestions focus on managing tension. My competitiveness increases tension. So, I’m going to work on some practices that help me relax more while I keep my competitive focus.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,

I am a patient of Dr. Bulger's your uncle. I try to keep up-to-date on your career and have noticed that your tournament results are improving. Also noticed that the feild has some recent PGA tour players on the tour, this must be encouraging based on their experiences if they are able to share them with you.

In any event your notes on the recent changes to your mental preparation before events sounds good. I suspect that once this improves your results will follow.

Good luck and keep up the good work

Frank

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home