Peter Laws | Notes from the Links

Monday, October 01, 2007

Figuring Out How to Get the Golf Ball in the Hole Faster

I spent an awesome day with sports psychologist Rick Jensen from the Performance Center at the PGA National Resort and Spa, Palm Beach, Florida (http://www.pgaperformancecenter.com/tigertank.htm).

I learned so much about myself. For example, how I think during my short game that gets me good to great results most of the time. How I haven’t used these thinking skills well enough for my long game. Where I can sharpen my “champion’s thinking”.

My biggest “aha” is to focus more on “out there” (the target) and less on “in here” (the mechanics). I knew it before but needed someone to show me practical ways to get myself out of the way. I couldn’t do it without Rick’s help in identifying what about me was in the way! It’s not easy to see yourself.

I feel more positive and confident. I now know better how to practice and to be my own self-improvement coach both on and off the golf course.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike_S said...

Hey Peter,

Can you share any of the tips / techniques that you worked on with Rik that helped you "get out of the way" ?

Are you a "golf book" reader?

Have you read either "The Inner Game of Golf" by Tim Gallwey or "Extraodinary Golf" by Fred Shoemaker?

There's no "physical" golf technique per se discussed in either book, rather both of them deal with the mental side of the game.

Mike
http://greenposse.com b5media Golf Blog

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home