Peter Laws | Notes from the Links

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Learning from Sonny

Luck was on my side with my visit to Toronto for the Bell Celebrity Classic fundraiser. I got to see my friend from Kent State, Andy Sonnanstine, debut as a pitcher for the Tampa Devil Rays against the Blue Jays. What a night!

I was surprised at how nervous I got watching him. I really wanted him to do well. Because I have to keep my emotions in control for golf, I don’t feel nervous much. I started to breath more easily as the game went on. By the time his coach pulled him at the end of the eighth inning, his team had an 11-6 lead.

Who would have guessed what the Blue Jays would do in the last inning? A comeback matching the biggest ninth-inning rebound in franchise history. A wild 12-11 victory! For Sonny, I thought “Oh, no”!

I learned something from him as I watched what he did over eight innings. When things looked like they weren’t going well, he breathed deeply and took a few moments to clear his mind. He didn’t allow himself to be rushed.

I don’t do that enough. Maybe it’s because in golf we’re always on a timer for the number of minutes allowed per hole. Then, when things don’t go as planned (like balls off-bounds or lost in the water…), I hurry even more.

I realize that a few seconds to pull my thoughts together won’t matter for the timing. But, they could matter a lot for my game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home