Peter Laws | Notes from the Links

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Messing Around With My Swing to Get More Feel

When I was a young amateur, I just did it. Stepped up to the tee and got the job done. As a pro, I have started to think too much.

My first coach since I was thirteen and friend Steve Chapman had some good advice. Start “messing around” when I am practicing. Whack the ball off the tee every which way without worrying about where it is going.

It makes sense. Too much thinking is a left brain thing. “Messing around” is more right brain. If I can balance my practice habits more (both left and right), I might not have to think as much in competition.

Feel is about trust in the now. That comes from practicing letting go. Something like improv in comedy acts. It’s a bit weird to me. Still worth it though to quiet my mind.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home