Peter Laws | Notes from the Links

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Decisionmaking in the Eye of the Mexico Storm: Major Can Tour Headaches and Player Anxiety

When I left for Mexico on April 21, there was no swine flu problem in the news. My plan was to play in three of the four Mexican tournaments. Skip the second one in San Luis Potosi. If only I’d stuck to that plan!

I changed my mind once I got to Mazatlan. Decided to play in the San Luis Potosi tournament, not the last one. Changed my flight and hotel plans. Then, the news of a problem with sickness in Mexico started to come in.

The hardest part has been what decisions to make. Leave now? Stick it out? Maybe it’s gonna be OK? Just a scare that goes away?

It’s been tough on the Can Tour staff and the players. What do you do when this has never happened before? Like those weird surprises you have on the golf course sometimes. Trying to figure things out when you have no idea what to do. Take a stab at it and see what happens.

Well, it’s been a roller coaster ride. Anyway, we’re getting outa here now. Tournament in San Luis Potosi cancelled.

Right away a rumor circulated among the players that they were going to close the border. Our anxiety went through the roof. Scrambling to change our flights was scary….at one point, it looked like there were no seats available for six days. We went wild with thoughts of not being able to get out.

We’re still worried. I don’t think we’ll relax until we’re on the airplane.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home